Call for Participation
- (NEW!) June 23, 2006: Full Video submissions due
- July 21, 2006: Notification of acceptance
- August 18, 2006: Final version of Videos and Video Abstracts due
Submissions: See instructions below
Videos are a great way to present work that involves dynamic interaction, ranging from demonstrations of new systems to complex aspects of group communication and work practice. Videos provide an effective means to educate others about new techniques and concepts. We want to encourage the production of high quality videos, and aim at producing a valuable resource that will stimulate research and that can be used for educational purposes.
Videos should not have been previously presented in any formal video program. Authors who are submitting papers are also encouraged to consider submitting formal videos that show their work. We also encourage people with innovative or novel ideas for video submissions to contact the program chairs. Videos submitted as full videos are distinct from videos submitted as a video figure that accompanies a paper or demonstration. As description of video figures is included at the end of this call and is intended to help clarify the distinction to ensure that those videos intended as video submission are submitted as appropriate with their papers, notes, and demonstrations.
Successful Full Video authors will present the basic concepts in their video in a 'one minute madness' session, and through out the conference videos will be available in a video kiosk for attendees to select and play. Also Full Video authors will be available during the special Poster Session where will interact directly with conference attendees. Accepted Full Videos all be included in the video section of the conference DVD and Full Video two page abstracts will be published in the Conference Supplement that will be circulated to attendees at registration. Full Video abstracts will not be incorporated into the main CSCW 2006 Conference Proceedings. All questions regarding video submissions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full Videos will be peer reviewed. They will be evaluated for their scientific and technical content, for their interest and relevance to the CSCW community, and for their communication effectiveness and production quality.
Similarly to papers and notes, videos should present research on technological mediation of activities affecting groups of people. Potential topics include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrations of innovative research prototypes,
- Demonstrations (but not marketing) of innovative aspects of commercial systems,
- Studies of work practice that have implications for CSCW,
- Retrospective collections of significant CSCW fields of work, and
- Visions of future technologies
Full Video submissions will consist of a video in digital format that is limited to five minutes in length and 125MB in size and a maximum two page abstract that briefly notes the contents of the video and situates it in the literature. If this video is related to a paper or note this must be mentioned here, although Full Video submissions will be reviewed independently of the Paper or Note.
Abstracts of accepted Full Videos must be formatted according to the to the detailed submission instructions found at http://www.acm.org/sigs/pubs/proceed/template.html. See the Submission Instructions for more details. The Full Video two page abstracts will be included in the CSCW Conference Proceedings.
Video submissions are due by 5:00pm (17:00) Pacific Time on Friday, June 23, 2006.
Video Figures are meant to accompany a Paper, Note, or Demonstration submission. Video Figures will be reviewed and acceptance will be determined as part of the Note, Paper, or Demonstration they accompany, not as stand-alone submissions. Only one Video Figure may be submitted per Paper, Note, or Demonstration. Video Figures must be submitted with their associated Paper, Note, or Demonstration by the appropriate deadline:
- Papers/Notes deadline: Friday, March 17, 2006, 5:00pm (17:00) Pacific Time
- Demonstrations deadline: Friday, July 7, 2006, 5:00pm (17:00) Pacific Time
Video Figures will consist of a video in digital format that is limited to two minutes in length and 30MB in size.
- Please prepare a maximum 2 page abstract formatted according the instructions found at http://www.acm.org/sigs/pubs/proceed/template.html.
- We can only accommodate videos in QuickTime MPEG-4 or DivX Version 5 (or later) formats. The total length of all videos should not exceed five minutes.
- Please name both files (the 2 page abstract and the video): ContactAuthorsLastName.extension
- If you are submitting more than 1 video then number your submissions, for example: ContactAuthorsLastName2.extension
- Please send an email to email@example.com with "CSCW Video Submission" in the subject line and the following information in the email text:
- Author list
- Contact Authorís name and contact information
- Title of the video
- Urls to allow us to download the abstract and the video (do not attach the abstract or video to the e-mail message)
CSCW Videos Chair
Sheelagh Carpendale, University of Calgary, Canada